Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Black Bean Soup

Sunday night I made another delicious vegetarian soup for dinner, and to have for my lunches this week!  I found this recipe on one of my new favorite blogs:
http://twopeasandtheirpod.com/

They have so many wonderful ideas, I can't wait to try  more recipes of theirs!! 

This soup was amazing, it had so many wonderful flavors!!!  Cheers!!


Maria's Black Bean Soup


Olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
Crushed red pepper-to taste
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 ears of fresh corn, cut off the cob (can use frozen or canned)
3 cans diced tomatoes (I use reduced sodium) - Carrie: I used one can of fire roasted diced tomatoes! 
2 cans of black beans (I use reduced sodium)
2 cans of chicken or vegetable broth (fat free, low sodium)
2 cups of water
Chili Powder-to taste
Cumin-to taste
Salt-to taste
Pepper-to taste
Chopped cilantro (about a half of a bunch)
Juice of 1-2 limes

Heat oil in a big soup pot. Cook onion until tender. Add in garlic, crushed red pepper, and jalapeno. Cook for about a minute. Add in peppers and corn. Saute until tender. Add in tomatoes, black beans, broth, and water. Stir. Add in your spices. I never measure these. Sorry! So just add in according to taste! Stir and throw in chopped cilantro. Squirt in lime juice and stir. Let simmer to enhance flavors.

Note:  Next time I might add a can of tomato paste to thicken it up a little!  But honestly it's amazing as is!

No comments:

Post a Comment