Monday, March 1, 2010

Lentil and Veggie Stew


I have an odd obssession with soup.  I could eat it all day, everyday.  If it was the only thing I ever ate again it would be ok with me!  A couple of weeks ago (ash wednesday) I decided that I wanted to give something up for lent.  This is something I have not done in at least 8 years.  I decided this was the year.  No, I did not give up soup!  Instead I decided to give up meat.  I am still eating all seafood, I just gave up all red meat, poultry etc.  The most difficult part of giving up meat for me has been my lunches.  I'm a typical sandwich person for lunch.  I decided that every Sunday I would make a healthy veggie soup and that could be my lunch for the week.  Last week I tried a minestrone soup, it was ok...I was a little nervous about this lentil stew.  To me it looked like it wouldn't have any flavor.  I was wrong, it's amazing!  I am so looking forward to my lunch today!  Enjoy and Cheers!


Start by cutting up all the veggies and cooking them in a pot for 10 minutes on medium heat.  Make sure to season well with salt and pepper!  I also added some red pepper flakes to give it a little kick!



Add Veggie Stock, White Wine, Tomato Puree, Diced Tomatoes, Black Beans, Lentils and Herbs.  Bring to a boil.


Turn the heat down to Low and simmer for an hour.


Serve immediately and enjoy!

Lentil and Veggie Stew
1 cup lentils
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 onion, finely diced
5 garlic cloves, minced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 small yellow summer squash, diced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
Salt and fresh cracked black pepper (I use a garlic infused black pepper)
Dash Red Pepper Flakes
1 cup dry white wine
4 cups veggie stock
2 15oz. cans Italian style diced tomatoes
1 15oz. can black beans (or your favorite type of beans)
1 tbsp. dried Italian herb mix (I used Herbes de Provence)
2 Bay Leaves

Heat Olive Oil in a dutch oven over medium heat.

Add Onions and saute for a couple of minutes.  Add the rest of the cut veggies.  Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.  Make sure you don't under season the veggies.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.

Add one can of diced tomatoes and juice to a blender, puree.

Add veggie stock, white wine, tomato puree, diced tomatoes, beans, lentils, herbs and bay leaves.  Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to low, and cook for 1 hour. Remove Bay Leaves and serve immediately.

Note:  If the stew is not thick enough, add 2-3 tablespoons of cornstarch

No comments:

Post a Comment